I first discovered Rachel’s photography on Flickr. I was instantly inspired by her photography of her family, I watched with intrigue her journey from one child to three, her daily life captured so beautifully.
Her eldest daughter a similar age to my son also kept me watching, and reading, then I discovered her blog, and read with even more details about her life and business as a commercial kid photographer.
As soon as I heard Rachel was releasing a book (two books actually) I was excited. Who wouldn’t want to learn some tips from a pro? And even though I have learnt a fair bit about photographing children with my own three, there is always new tips and techniques to learn.
So as soon as the link was posted for the release of Rachel’s e-book Click! How to Take Gorgeous Photos of Kids- I ordered a copy, and instantly began to read.
It is not just for people who know what they are doing with a camera but helps you learn how to use the settings to your advantage.
It is broken up into 7 different chapters.
- Think – a challenge to rethink how you approach photographing kids
- Prepare – some of the practical things to consider before you start shooting including gear, settings, exposure, styling, light, composition, color and more
- Smile – tips and tricks on working with kids
- Refine – post-production, editing, printing and sharing your images
- Research – seeking new inspiration and styles (includes project ideas to try)
- Push – 7 photo setups you can try to help you push your own boundaries
- Look – case studies, interviews and photos with 5 amazing kids photographers
So I would encourage anyone who wants to take better photos of their children to go get a copy, It is available at a spceial price of $19.99 – normally $29.99
(until 19 October)
DPS is also giving away a camera to one person that buys the e-book!! (worth over $1000 a Canon T3i and
Rachel also runs a blog with her friend Peta Mazey called Beyond Snapshots where they run classes and mentoring in photography.
Disclaimer: I have not been paid for this post, this is my true and honest opinion.